Sunday 28 August 2011

The meander and its oxbow lake


This was the meander and its oxbow lake I spotted during my journey down the river!

The formation of a meander and its oxbow lake:












Well, this was what my new friend, Harr20 told me - A meander is formed when the moving water in a stream erodes the outer banks and widens its valley. The river stream of any volume may assume a meandering course, alternately eroding or wearing away sendiments from the outside of a bend and depositing them on the inside. The result is a snake-like pattern as the stream meanders back and forth across its down-valley axis. When a meander gets cut off from the main stream, the two gets seperated from each other , thus forming an oxbow lake.


Oh my! It's starting to rain again! I will write again soon! See you next time!
 








No comments:

Post a Comment